* You are viewing Posts Tagged ‘realxtend’

Naali: Box selection

This week I have implemented FrustumQuery in the renderer code of Naali. With this code it is now possible to use a selection box to determine the area from which we want entities to be selected.

In the objectedit Python module there used to be some code to draw a selection box using a Qt widget. Unfortunately it stopped working, or at least, it didn’t show anymore. After some research it looks like a combination of UiExternalModule and World Build Tools made it very hard to get this to show.

Instead of complicating the already complex code for these two modules I … Continue Reading

Naali: Align Tools

A short message about the alignment tools I’ve created for Naali. I let the screencast on YouTube speak for itself :) I hope you enjoy it!

Manipulator Rulers in Naali

I’ve finally managed to integrate the Ruler code into the editing tools. I already worked on this during the summer, but other tasks were necessary to do, too.

The rulers are far from completed, but having this functional integration ready I can start working on the really cool looking features for these rulers.

There are obviously already the manipulators, and they do help a lot in visualising what and how to edit objects. The rulers will greatly enhance that experience, giving nice anchors and  direction for the transforms.

Think of grids, pies and ladders.

Animation Control in Naali

Tonight I pushed some code that enables the user to set animations to entities. Although not final, it already helps the user in picking a specific animation that is provided in an animation asset. This way the user doesn’t have to guess the names of the animations, just picking from a dropbox is so much easier!

See this short screencast what this is all about.

New transform widgets for Naali

In my work on the manipulators of Naali I found the code doing weird reorientations and scalings to have them look ok on screen. This made the code needlessly complex. I looked at the original .blend file and found a number of issues with the models.

Firstly, the object axis is misaligned. When you’re modelling with Blender for realXtend and Naali, you should make sure that object axis is aligned with world axis. This is true for widgets and objects that need to be aligned with the world axis of realXtend and Naali, which happen to be the same as Blender. … Continue Reading

Sound ruler for Naali viewer

One task for me was to enable allow the user to attach sounds to objects in simulations using the Naali viewer Object Edit module. For the user this simply means a way to copy the asset reference to a field, set volume and radius and accept this. After that the object will start emitting sound (or the entire simulation will have that sound if radius is set to 0.0).

As a little extra I decided to create a small widget that I call the sound ruler. This little widget will show you the radius and volume of the attached sound … Continue Reading

Verse integration for Naali

During the summer I’ve been working on a simple Verse integration tech demo for Naali (RealXtend). In short, Verse integration is for having a low-overhead and fast protocol for EC  (Entity Component) attributes. In this techdemo I’ve concentrated on setting light attributes and a way to have Naali keep book of world objects and map them to verse nodes.

I have recorded a short demonstration in which I show how the light can be set using an external tool that has Verse support, in this case the Connector scene graph … Continue Reading

VerseSharp implementation continued

I’ve been working again on the C# implementation of the Verse protocol, versesharp.  This work I’ve been conducting in the branch coderestruct. I’ve managed to implement all object, geometry, bitmap and material commands, and about all system commands are there too (ping still missing). For now I leave text, curve and audio commands out of the loop, and will start working on some kind of server to see how well this all works. I still think session handling needs a lot more improvement.

One reason to work on this again is the possibility of having VerseContinue Reading

Letwory Interactive 2010

Hi all,

As I wrote in my previous short blog, I’d write up a longer post about what’s happening. As you may have noticed, my regular builds came to a halt. This was simply due to me being transferred to a project with the usual hush-hush tag on it. Also, this project was very demanding. I loved to do it: it was (and probably still is) technically challenging, had to do with cool technology and the direct collegues were great to work with. That was January, 2010, at Cybercom Plenware Oy.

Because the project was very intense: high … Continue Reading