We’ve all been waiting for it since the dreadful crash of the servers and the backups: Blenderstorm is finally back and online!
The last 1,5 month I have been working on getting this done. I did some venturing out to alternative implementations – one in Lua (on top of Sputnik, which worked pretty nicely, but getting it to run properly on the host was a different story), and one in Python (using web.py). Both own implementation had the good part that they were light, but that was only the feature request part – no user management, no spam protection, nothing.
So, to save my own nerves, and to give you finally what you deserve, I decided to port Ideatorrent once again. This time though I made sure I had the code from the beginning versioned and in some off-location repository. You can find the code for Blenderstorm over at gitorious.org. Much of the work was about changing the schema to use the Schema API from Drupal for MySQL, and to have the corresponding PHP parts also updated for use on MySQL.
I think I’ve got now all fixed for MySQL – at least the testing I did myself didn’t pose any big problems anymore. If you find any, please report in comments.
Those who were registered with the beta version have been moved to the production site too. None of the requests and solutions from the beta side were moved, we start now with a clean slate.
Blender developers I ask to contact me after they have registered, so I can give them the proper permissions. Also I’ll be needing a few more reviewers and moderators to help managing the content for the site. If you’re interested in helping out in that area, please let me know!
Now, everybody, write your feature requests and proposals. Please be specific and complete – that way we can make sure that both the requests and inferred from that the actual implementation are going to be a success.